Friday, 10 August 2012

Walnut Cake

I have had the pleasure of meeting some lovely women who spend the winter up here in one of our local caravan parks. They come to our patchwork group and are totally addicted to patchwork as we are. Yesterday we went to the caravan park to sit by the pool overlooking the golf course and the sea on a beautiful day and knit/sew/chat. It was great. I made this walnut cake as Pearl has to eat gluten free. So this recipe is for her.

350g toasted walnuts (I gave them 6 minutes at 200C on a baking tray single layer)
5 eggs, separated
1 cup caster sugar (though I used regular home brand)
1 teaspoon almond essence (I used vanilla)
icing sugar to dust (be careful of this if you are gluten free, it often contains wheaten cornflour)

Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line  a springform pan with baking paper. Process the nuts into fine crumbs. Using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl till pale and creamy.  Fold in the essence and nuts until combined. Beat egg whites till soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites in 2 batches into the walnut mixture till just combined. Put in the pan and bake for 25 minutes. Turn the oven off and cool in the oven with the door ajar for 1 hour, I propped it open a bit with a soup ladle! Remove from the tin, dust with sifted icing sugar and serve in wedges with a dollop of cream!

I think you could use other nuts as well, be brave, experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment